Cart is empty
Robert Alexander Stewart Macalister (1870-1950) and John Grew Duncan (1872- date of death unknown), were also PEF men. They dug at the top of Hill of the City of David between 1923 and 1925, and were therefore the first excavators there at the time of the British Mandate.
They were looking for a fortified structure that served as a defense for the city at its northern end. They uncovered residential buildings from different periods, but did not uncover any evidence of a fortification, later re-covering the excavation area. Close by, they dug up the head of a massive support structure, but they considered it a ‘slippery defense’. This structure is still visible (and additional diggers have continued their work).
They published their findings in detail, including plans and diagrams of the buildings and other findings.