Cart is empty
John Winter Crowfoot (1873-1959) and George M. Fitzgerald (1883-1957), members of the PEF, excavated inside the Tyropoeon Valley, west of the Hill of the City of David, in 1927, at a location a little south of today’s Givati Parking Lot. They uncovered a fortification wall with a wide opening. They considered the wall as the western city wall of Jerusalem at the time of the First Temple, and the opening as the gate to the city.
In addition, they uncovered many buildings nearby that could be attributed to different periods (later than the wall that was discovered). Their excavation is not visible today since it is covered by modern buildings, and it is difficult to determine whether their understanding was correct.